It is Time to Review & Update the Drummond/North Elmsley Official Plan!
The Township of Drummond/North Elmsley Official Plan is a legal document under the Planning Act that came into force and effect on December 17, 2012. The Official Plan is a strategic planning document which guides the growth, development, and land use changes in Drummond/North Elmsley until 2032. The Official Plan (OP) determines how the Township will manage issues such as: residential growth, housing, aggregate, agriculture, natural heritage conservation and climate change, to name a few.
The Official Plan is required to be consistent with the provincial requirements for land use planning as expressed in the Provincial Policy Statement 2020. There is also a requirement for the Township’s Official Plan to conform to the Lanark County Sustainable Communities Official Plan (SCOP 2012).
An Official Plan:
- Informs the public on what the province, county and municipality's general land use planning policies are;
- makes sure that growth is coordinated and meets the community's needs;
- helps all members of the community understand how their land may be used now and in the future;
- helps decide where roads, parks, trails, and other services will be located;
- provides a framework for establishing municipal zoning by-laws to set local regulations and standards, such as size of lots, or development setbacks from water or gravel pits;
- provides a way to evaluate and settle conflicting land uses while meeting local, regional, and provincial interests; and,
- shows Council's commitment to the sustainable future of the community.
Once an Official Plan is approved, the Planning Act stipulates that a council shall revise the plan no less frequently than:
- 10 years after it comes into effect as a new official plan; and
- every five years thereafter, unless the plan has been replaced by another new official plan
One of the primary purposes of undertaking the review is to ensures the Township’s Official Plan is consistent with the Provincial Policy Statement (2020) and that it has regard to matters of provincial interest.
The Official Plan Review also provides an opportunity for Council and the community express their opinions about the official plan and to ensure that this key document continues to address local priorities and evolving community needs.
The Council is committed to reviewing and, where necessary, updating its Official Plan policies to ensure they remain current, consistent with Provincial legislation and policies, and reflective of local planning principles and objectives. This OP review and update will incorporate the 2020 updated Provincial Policy Statement to guide Drummond/North Elmsley in making informed planning decisions consistent with provincial direction. A professional planning firm was retained by the Township to assist in this review.
This project is being completed in consultation with Lanark County who is the approval authority for changes made to local Official Plans by lower tier municipalities. In addition to broad agency consultation, the public is encouraged express their views on the Official Plan.
Please note that the Township's existing Official Plan (including Schedule A and Schedule B), the County of Lanark Sustainable Communities Official Plan, the 2020 Provincial Policy Statement and a link to the Ontario Citizens Guide on Official Plans are accessible through this web page.
Opportunities for public input on the Official Plan Review and Update will be provided during the review process. The Planning Act requires that Council hold a Special Meeting, open to the public to discuss possible revisions to the Official Plan. In addition, Council is required to consult with Lanark County (the approval authority) and prescribed public bodies with respect to any changes or updates they may require.
On July 25th 2012 the Township’s current Official Plan came into effect once the Ministry’s approval was finalized.
Current Official Plan
If you have any questions or comments about any aspect of the Official Plan Review, please submit them by clicking the button below.
Meetings and Notices
Updates will be availble here for 2023 dates.
Public Meeting for Official Plan Review